May 12, 2013

Grandma Mavis turns 75

We are celebrating my Grandma Mavis's 75th birthday this week and want her to know how much we love and appreciate her! I really could go on forever telling you about the things I love about my Grandma Mavis. I have the fondest memories of her as child taking me on runs to the health food store, sitting on the bathroom floor watching her blow dry her long curly hair, laying on her lap as she tickled my back (she gives the best back tickles), showing me how to do things around the kitchen & house and making us grand-kids green juice, salads and fruit trays. One of my very favorite things she would do when we would arrive at her house is carry us from the front door to her laundry room and set us on the counter while she washed our dirty feet in the big laundry sink. Grandma has the cleanest floors you will EVER see and this is one of the reasons why. I miss those little foot washings. She has magic hands :)

If you have ever had the chance to meet my grandma Mavis, you know that one of the first things you'll notice is how stunning she is. A true natural beauty. She has a tall lean body, beautiful brown skin, deep ocean blue eyes, the most beautiful curly hair you ever did see and and a general glow about her that comes from her love of being healthy. Beauty however, is only skin deep and her most beautiful feature is her incredible spirit that shines through in every word she says and thing she does. She truly is the most loving person I know. She is a perfect example of what it means to be Christlike.  I have always and continue to want to be like her when I grow up. 

Another thing I've always loved about her is her genuine excitement when you see her. Every time I ever see her, no matter how long it has been, she has a huge smile and open arms reaching out for big squeezy hugs and kisses. She notices everything too...everything good. A new haircut, a cute new skirt, or maybe some pretty nail polish and if she can't find anything new, she will just tell you how beautiful you are or how much she loves you. She is very complimentary and wants everyone to feel good about themselves. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking she can't be real, but she is and I'm so lucky to call her mine. Mine all mine! I am her oldest Granddaughter of 16 grand kids and 10 great grand kids and I'm named after her as well (her full name is Mavis Lela Frehner.) I consider her to be one of my very best friends in this world. I love her oh so very, very much. 


We had an early birthday party and BBQ for her at my Aunt Merideth's house up in OC this weekend. It was so much fun! Good food, good peeps, beautiful weather. Perfection! It was nice to see lots of family we don't always get to see.


Great Grandma is always toting around a baby. I think I will always think of her with a baby on her hip :)



The kiddos and Sean helped make some birthday decor. 

 I helped with a few dishes but Aunt Meri made most of the food and some birthday berry pie's instead of cake. Grandma LOVES berry pie. It was all delish!

Kids had a blast! Luckily it was the hottest day of the year yet so they stayed out in the pool almost all day. 





After ALL day in the pool, Whitney and Zane (kissing second cousins) got caught dipping their toes in one last time. Serious cuteness. 

Can you believe her picking up my big ole kids!?! She's always been so strong. She's just amazing. 

Even though words could never express the love we have for her we still want to attempt to let her know. She has an incredible legacy in her posterity. She should be so proud of all that she has done to lead our family and generously and graciously be a shining example to us and the world. I  know Grandpa would be so proud of you and how you've carried on since he has been gone. I bet he was smiling watching us all together this weekend. Probably wishing he could scoop up those babies himself and sing them a song on his guitar...

*tears*

Love you, Grandma!!! 
Happy, Happy Birthday!! XOXOXOXOX

2 comments :

  1. What a beautiful tribute Lela!!! THANKS FOR THE NICE MEMORIES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lela, thanks for posting these beautiful pictures of Mavis. She has always been and still is pretty. Besides that your words about her are beautiful, too, and they're all true! Mavis has kids, grandkids, sisters, and a brother who love her, too. I don't think her birthday is actually until the 17th, but let's get a jump on it! Happy 75th birthday, Mavis! And many more. Love, Uncle Wesley

    ReplyDelete